Student & Parent Involvement
Morning Star offers many opportunities throughout the school year for students and parents to participate and volunteer in various sports and activities.
- Bible Studies – In addition to learning and studying God’s Word daily, children, junior high students, teenagers, and adults are encouraged to attend weekly Bible studies on Saturday evenings, Sunday mornings, or Monday evenings. (Click on the links for times and more information on each study.)
- Chapel – On Wednesday mornings at 8:30 during the school year, students and teachers have the opportunity to worship and praise the Lord together in our church. All are invited to join us for this special time!
- Worship – Students and parents are encouraged to praise and honor our Lord through regular church attendance. Please visit our church home page for worship service dates and times.
- Youth Confirmation Class – 7-8th grade Morning Star students meet as a group with the pastor and/or staff minister two mornings per week during the school year to learn more about the teachings of the Bible and prepare for their 8th grade confirmation which takes place the Saturday 2 weeks before Easter. (Public school students receive confirmation instruction at Morning Star one evening per week from the staff minister.)
- Accelerated Reader – Students in grades 1-8 may choose to take part in this program where participants read books according to their reading level and take tests on what they’ve read to accumulate points and earn prizes over the course of the school year.
- Art Fair – For students in kindergarten -8th grade, takes place in April of even numbered years (opposite the Science Fair), award-winning projects may be chosen to move on to the KML Art Fair
- Band – Individual lessons available during the school day for students in grades 5-8 as part of the KML Elementary School Band Program, group band lessons and concerts at KML outside of school hours
- Chimes – For 5-8th graders, usually divided into 3 separate groups with each group practicing before school one day per week and occasionally playing in worship services
- Classroom Choirs – All students in preschool through 8th grade sing with their classmates in worship services in church at various times throughout the school year.
- Entertainment Night – Musicals, plays, and/or skits are performed by students in April. Grades 5-8 perform in even numbered years; 3K-grade 4 perform in odd numbered years.
- Forensics – In March for students in grades 5-8, students have the option of participating in the KML Forensics meet as well as at Morning Star
- Math Meet – Occurs in April at KML for students in grades 5-8
- Peer Tutoring – Upper graders work with lower grade students during the school day, listening to them read and helping them better academic skills
- Piano Lessons – Offered at Morning Star to students during the school day for lower grade students and outside of school hours for upper grade students, students may play before, during, or after chapel or church services
- Science Fair – Takes place in April of even numbered years (opposite the Art Fair), for grades 5-8, top 2 projects from each class move on to the KML Science Fair
- Spelling Bee – The top 2 students in each grade from 5-8th grade participate in the Spelling Bee at KML in October.
- YOUth Praise Choir – Separate from the classroom choirs, this junior choir for 3-8th grade students practices once a week during the school day and sings in church services at various times throughout the school year.
- Basketball – Takes place November – February for 5-8th graders, C teams for boys and girls in grades 3-4 may form if there is enough interest (The C team season lasts from January – February.)
- Cheerleading – For girls in grades 5-8 during the November – February basketball season
- Cross Country – August – October, for 5-8th grade students
- Soccer – For boys in 5-8th grade, in August – October
- Softball – In May for 7-8th grade students
- Track – For 5-8 grade students, in May
- Volleyball – August – October, for 5-8th grade girls
- Field Trip Chaperones – Throughout the school year, classes occasionally take field trips off-campus and adults are needed to drive and/or chaperone.
- Parent Group – Made up of school parents, this group meets monthly during the school year to organize and oversee various events, groups, and programs at Morning Star such as Grandparents’ Day and book fairs, room parents, and the ordering of school spirit wear.
- Room Parents – Each classroom has room parents who organize classroom parties, field trip chaperones, teacher birthdays and gifts, etc.