Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. Hebrews 13:15-16
Thanksgiving – the Christian’s Lifestyle
Thanksgiving – a time to ponder our blessings and say thanks. Most of us celebrate this American holiday by feasting on the bounty of a harvest of food. In Christian circles, Thanksgiving provides an opportunity for us to worship and praise God from whom all blessings flow. Thanksgiving is really a lifestyle Christians experience every day of their lives.
The writer to the Hebrews describes the Christian’s thanksgiving lifestyle.
- Through Jesus – God loved us first and sent his Son to be the world’s Savior. Our thankfulness flows from our relationship with Jesus.
- continually – This is a lifestyle, part of our existence every day.
- offer to God a sacrifice of praise – We thank God with our words. We praise him with the things we say and how we say them.
- the fruit of lips that openly profess his name – A thanksgiving lifestyle expresses to others the hope we have in Christ.
- do not forget to do good and to share with others – We thank God with our actions. We serve him by serving people around us, by being kind and generous to others.
- with such sacrifices God is pleased – Since all of our shortcomings are forgiven in Jesus, God is pleased with thanksgiving lifestyles that flow from our faith in the Savior.
May God bless us with a lifestyle of thanksgiving!
Staff Minister Tom Banaszak